Michelle Yu, 18, has been missing since Tuesday
Toronto police are seeking the public’s help in locating Michelle Yu, an 18-year-old who has been missing since Tuesday.
Police say she was last seen at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the TD Bank at 354 Bay St., near Temperance Street. Her image was captured on the bank’s security camera and she appeared to be alone. Members of her family say this is not the bank branch Michelle regularly uses.
She was also seen at around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in the York Mills Road/Chipstead Road area.
Posted in Ajax, Asia, Barrie, Canada, Durham, Emergencies, GTA Issues, GTA News, London, newmarket, Ontario, Oshawa, Pickering, Toronto, Vaughan, World
Tagged Banking Services, Banks and Institutions, Branch (banking), Business, Closed-circuit television, Financial Services, Michelle Yu, Missing, people, TD Bank, Toronto, Tuesday, United States
There seems to be a lot of confusion over what is running and what is not in York Region. Details from the YRT/VIVA site are listed below, however there is much confusion over exactly which routes are not in operation. Some TTC routes, that go into Markham are still in operation.
Southeast Division (Miller Transit)
- 51 YRT routes in the Towns of Markham, Richmond Hill and Whitchurch-Stouffville, with some routes in the City of Vaughan
North Division (First Canada)
- 29 YRT routes in the Towns of Newmarket and Aurora with some routes in the Towns of Richmond Hill, East Gwillimbury and Georgina
Viva Division (York BRT Services)
- Five Viva routes operating in the Towns of Markham, Richmond Hill, Aurora, Newmarket and the City of Vaughan
For more details click here or here. For details on the services unaffected by the strike, please review the information below.
- Traveling on other YRT routes – The strike does not affect service along more than 30 YRT routes in the Southwest Divisionthat Veolia Southwest provides. These routes mostly serve the City of Vaughan, but also parts of the Towns of Aurora, Markham, Newmarket and Richmond Hill and the Township of King. You can find out whether buses operate along your route here.
- Traveling on north / south TTC buses in York Region.
- Traveling on GO Transit buses and trains and Brampton Transit Züm buses. (Brampton Transit may add extra service on the 501 Züm Queen route to help passengers that usually use the Viva orange service between Martin Grove Road and York University’s Keele Campus.)
Note: Seems it maybe best to catch a Go Bus, Go Train or at least try the 99 bus.
Posted in Canada, Markham, newmarket, Ontario, Public Transit, richmond hill, Toronto, Unions, Vaughan, Viva, YRT
Tagged East Gwillimbury, Miller Transit, Regional Municipality of York, richmond hill, Vaughan, Viva, York Region, York Region Transit
VIVA on strike for Wednesday
680News staff | Wednesday, September 24th, 2008 7:42 pm
Thirty-five-thousand commuters in York Region will have to find another way to work or school come Thursday morning.
That’s because Viva bus drivers will go on strike starting at 4 a.m.
Union members turned down a tentative settlement by 61 per cent, Wednesday, and that group represents 165 bus operators.
In a press release, Bob Kinnear, President of ATU Local 113, which represents the bus drivers said “we are a democratic union and our members have spoken.”
He added “Veolia management [the company that runs Viva Transit] knew that the strike would being tomorrow (Thursday) if their offer was turned down and I have informed them of the results of the vote.”
The major issues in negotiations are wages and sick time.
At this point no further talks have been scheduled.
All York Region Transit (YRT) buses will continue to run as usual because they are not part of Viva Transit.
read more | digg story
Posted in College, GTA Issues, GTA News, Markham, newmarket, News, Ontario, Public Transit, richmond hill, Students, Toronto, Unions, University, Vaughan, Viva, YRT
Tagged atu, bus, Cars, GO Trains, GTTA, Markham, Metrolinx, metrolynx, no service, richmond hill, september 25, streetcar, strike in york, Subway, Toronto, TTC, Union, Viva, wednesday, York Region, York University, YRT