A New York Long Island woman said she was fired after she donated a kidney to help save the life of her boss.
Debbie Stevens, a 47-year-old divorced mother of two, filed a formal complaint with the New York State Human Rights Commission last Friday, claiming her boss used her for her organ then fired her “after the woman got what she wanted.” Stevens’ boss, 61-year-old Jackie Brucia, is one of the West Islip controllers for Atlantic Automotive Group, a billion-dollar dealership operator. Brucia hired Stevens in January 2009 as an assistant. ”She just started treating me horribly, viciously, inhumanly after the surgery,” Stevens told ABCNews.com. “It was almost like she hired me just to get my kidney.”
- Suit: Woman fired after donating kidney to boss (foxnews.com)
- Mother Donates Kidney to Boss in Need and is Subsequently Fired (practikel.com)
- Hicksville Woman Says She Was Fired After Donating Kidney To Boss (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Worker Donates Kidney For The Boss – Then Gets Fired (inquisitr.com)
- ‘I gave my boss my kidney – and she took my heart’: New York mum’s ‘betrayal’ after claims that boss she donated life-saving organ to FIRES her (mirror.co.uk)