Infoworld gives OS 10.5 a glowing review. No one is unhappy with Mac OS X Version 10.4, known as Tiger. OS X is not an application platform (I bristle at using the term “operating system” for OS X; I explain why below) that needed repair, speeding up, or exterior renovation. Motivations for major upgrades of competing system software — roll-ups of an unmanageable number of fixes, because the calendar says it’s time, or because users are perceived to have version fatigue — don’t apply to OS X. Apple wields no whip to force upgrades because Tiger stands no risk of being neglected by Apple or third-party developers as long as Leopard lives. Despite the absence of a stick that drives users into upgrades of competing OSes, or perhaps because of it, Apple enjoys an extraordinary rate of voluntary OS X upgrades among desktop and notebook users. Why? People buy Macs because the platform as a whole is perfect, full stop. Leopard is a rung above perfection. It’s taken as rote that the Mac blows away PC users’ expectations. Leopard blows away Mac users’ expectations, and that’s saying a great deal.
- 121,289 hits
December 2013 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- 2008 Alberta Apple Bombardier BRT canada Conservative Conservatives Dalton McGuinty David Miller Death dion election Environment Google Go Transit green gta Harper iphone jack layton John Tory Liberal Liberals Light-rail Linux LRT mac Markham mccain Metrolinx Microsoft Mississauga money Montreal NDP Obama Oil Ontario Open Source Oshawa OSX Palin PC politics Prime Minister Public Transit Quebec racism racist richmond hill rob ford Sheppard Stephen Harper Streetcars Subway subways tax Taxes Toronto Tory trams Transit City TTC Ubuntu United States US Vaughan Vista Viva wikipedia windows XP York Region YRT
- Pros and cons of MMP
- GlobalMedic - Rahul Singh has joined Time magazine’s list of the world’s 100 most influential people in 2010
- The Best Sushi in the GTA - Ajax, Ontario in Durham
- A culture of fear at the Toronto District School Board
- A Timely Video for Remembrance Day in Canada - "A Pittance in Time"
- Xenophobic: Racism, prejudice and utter ignorance in Herouxville Quebec
- Hwy. 401 EB closed near Cambridge December 11, 2013 Toronto staff
- Fatal crash closes Hwy. 401 near Cambridge December 11, 2013 Erin Criger
- BT’s annual Christmas tree sale supports Daily Bread Food Bank December 11, 2013 Showwei Chu, Toronto staff
- US health secretary asks for investigation into flawed health care website December 11, 2013 Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar, The Associated Press
- Crane collapses onto supermarket in western Germany, several people reported injured December 11, 2013 The Associated Press
- PM Harper, Canadian delegation pay final respects to Mandela December 11, 2013 Terry Pedwell, The Canadian Press
- Kate Winslet ‘doing great’ after giving birth to her 3rd child, a son December 11, 2013 The Associated Press
- Advocates see support for CPP expansion growing in advance of ministers meeting December 11, 2013 Julian Beltrame, The Canadian Press
- Ford brothers to vote on police budget December 11, 2013 Erin Criger, Toronto staff
- Toronto, GTA under pre-winter deep freeze December 11, 2013 Toronto staff
Some of this work by Andy MJ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.